Monday, November 07, 2005

Not Hiring Consultants?

Not Hiring Consultants? Are You Missing a Great Opportunity?

Yesterday, I spoke with my umpteenth client who said, “Gee, we don’t want to interview them because they’ve been a consultant for so long.” I scratched my head and wondered, “Why do managers stop thinking?” Let me explain.

The bias against consultants is that they are mercenaries and are only working for bucks (unlike our charitable manager who is working for the greater good of humanity). They are not good team players. They will change jobs if they are offered $5 more in payroll. When the market gets better, they’ll go back to consulting.

Some consultants do not play well with others. They do not tolerate “politics” well and have trouble accepting decisions that make little sense. I know a lot of employees who are that way, too.

With the rising cost of everything, consultants won’t stay long in a job. Well, with the rising cost of everything, how long do you think you or your staff will accept 3% salary increases when the labor market is so strong?

But when the market gets good, they’ll change jobs! Well the labor market is good and will get even better over the next few years.

But worse yet, blindly closing the door on men and women who would like to be former consultants is plain pig headed. It excludes people who are used to handling difficult situations, are client service oriented and may have excellent reasons for wanting to give up consulting. Reasons like:

I’m tired of having to constantly market myself instead of doing what I love and do well
I’m getting older and want to settle down
I’m buying a house and need to be stable for a lender
I need cheaper benefits
I want to watch the kids grow up instead of working 80 hours a week on assignment and marketing myself
I was on a visa. It was my only way to work in the US
There were no jobs between September, 2001 and 2004; it was the only kind of work available

Blindly closing the door on consultants is wrong and bad business similar to excluding anyone based upon a prejudice. Take a few minutes to investigate and evaluate the reasons why someone is willing to give up the “glamorous life” of consulting. I suspect you will increase your choices.

Jeff Altman
Concepts in Staffing
jeffaltman@cisny.com
© 2005 all rights reserved.

Jeff Altman, Managing Director with Concepts in Staffing, a New York search firm, has successfully assisted many corporations identify management leaders and staff in technology, accounting, finance, sales, marketing and other disciplines since 1971. He is a certified leader of the ManKind Project, a not for profit organization that assists men with life issues, and a practicing psychotherapist.

additional job hunting or hiring tips, go to http://www.newyorkmetrotechnologyjobs.com/If you would like Jeff and his firm to assist you with hiring staff, or if you would like help with a strategic job change, send an email to him at jeffaltman@cisny.com (If you’re looking for a new position, include your resume).